How We Celebrated EARTH DAY

In our town we have designated areas where residents can tend to their own garden plots. Rich and I thought it would be fun for our family to have a plot, knowing that it would be a great experience for the kids to plant and harvest their own food.  So in early April we put ourselves down on the waiting list for a plot, and to our surprise we were assigned plot #9 on April 21st, just one day before Earth Day!  The timing couldn’t have been more perfect.

So the very next day – on Earth Day – we gathered our gardening tools, grabbed a few kids, and headed off to prepare our plot of land.

Five year old Andrew lags behind, pulling the ice chest full of cool drinks.  It was a hot day, and we would need lots of water!

Once we got to our assigned plot and the kids got a good look at it, they started in with the complaints — just as I thought they might.  “We have to weed all of THAT?  That’s going to take FOREVER!”

But dad wasn’t going to hear any complaining.
 “If we all work together, this will be done in no time.  Everyone grab a tool and get started.”

Aislynn picked up a hoe and started right in.

Andrew got busy!

A.J. got right to work!

And Alex did as well.

Even Avery got to work, which surprised me.  I thought she would just stand around watching everyone else work. She tends to have a bit of a “Princess” mentality when it comes to any kind of hard labor.  And at first she was reluctant.

But it didn’t take long before she was actually enjoying it!  In fact, all the kids were!

Well, all except Aria…who took one look at all the work to be done and said, “This is not fun! Can we leave now?!”

Just look at that face.  This was a girl who would much rather be at the pool.

You want me to do WHAT?  Pull weeds?  I don’t think so!

Of course Rich was a hard worker.  He always is.

What’s the saying?  Many hands make for light work?  Something like that.  In our case, it’s definitely true!

We decided that the best way for Aria to be of help was to pick up all the stuff that we pull up and toss it into the waste bucket.  So we put some gloves on her and told her to get to work!

And that’s exactly what she did.
I won’t say that she was all that happy about it, but she did take pride in her work.  She picked everything up that we pulled, and when she was finished not one weed was left.  She turned out to be a hard worker after all.
She took time out to strike a pose for me, showing off her gardening outfit:  sunglasses, a bathing suit, a skirt and boots.

Shoveling the manure was big hit with the kids.  Everyone wanted a turn!

Alex shows his little brother how it’s done!

A.J. takes a turn

When she thought I wasn’t looking, I caught Aria “playing” in the dirt when she should have been picking up the weeds….

and I just let her to it.  After all, a three-year-old has gotta have some fun, right?

Finally, after only an hour’s work, our garden plot was free of all the weeds!  Whew!!  That was some job!

The next time we come back it will be to build a few planting boxes and to plant some seeds in the ground.

Mommy is so proud of all her little gardeners.
And I think they are kind of proud of themselves, too!
linking up today with The Bunny Hop

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory
click this link once a day to vote – thank you so much!

Comments

• says

Well someone has to be the historian of the family! Without me and my camera, years and years from now there would be no proof that our family even existed!

1. says

Just an hour, wow! Aria’s face is cracking me up. You brought me here to do WHAT? Ha. But I’m glad you found a way to include her, especially since she did such a good job. We have similar plots here but you have to pay for them and they’re first-come, first-served and almost all of the senior citizens get them first. They get priority. I can’t be mad. But I would for once like to be able to plant something (raccoons, squirrels, and a fat old groundhog find a way into everything we plant, wires be damned).

2. says

How adorable are those pics of the little one, especially the extreme pose towards the end!!! What a neat project too!

3. says

Oh, how wonderful that your community and your family chose to do this!

Aloha,
    Following ya from the Wander Wednesday HOp. We’re riding the wave of life at localsugarhawaii.com, one little adventure at a time and I’d love, love, love it if you’d join us for the ride.

xoxo,
    Nicole
    localsugarhawaii.com

4. says

Such an amazing way to spend the day!! Love your little ones posing skills lol She’s too cute!!

New follower from the blog hop :) Can’t wait to catch up your posts!

Hopefully you get a chance to stop by my blog.

xo, Jersey Girl

hairsprayandhighheels.blogspot.com

5. Anonymous says

“As environmental science has advanced, it has become apparent that the human appetite for animal flesh is a driving force behind virtually every major category of environmental damage now threatening the human future: deforestation, erosion, fresh water scarcity, air and water pollution, climate change, biodiversity loss, social injustice, the destabilization of communities, and the spread of disease.” Worldwatch Institute, “Is Meat Sustainable?”

“The livestock sector emerges as one of the top contributors to the most serious environmental problems, at every scale from local to global. The findings of this report suggest that it should be a major policy focus when dealing with problems of land degradation, climate change and air pollution, water shortage and water pollution, and loss of biodiversity. Livestock’s contribution to environmental problems is on a massive scale and its potential contribution to their solution is equally large. The impact is so significant that it needs to be addressed with urgency.” UN Food and Agricultural Organization’s report “Livestock’s Long Shadow”

“If every American skipped one meal of chicken per week and substituted vegetables and grains… the carbon dioxide savings would be the same as taking more than half a million cars off of U.S. roads.” Environmental Defense Fund

Why would someone choose to be vegan? To slow global warming for one! Here are two uplifting videos to help everyone understand why so many people are making this life affirming choice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKr4HZ7ukSE and http://www.veganvideo.org

6. says

Hi Katrina!

Welcome to the Bunny Hop Party! I have skimmed through parts of your blog and read about the challenges you have had with you daughter so many years ago.

I applaud you and your family for participating in Earth Day by starting a garden. Everything is easier when there is cooperation. Your children are all working together making the job easier. They will be so happy when they harvest their first crop. I hope they keep up interest. Gardening can be a chore or therapy, depending on how you look at it.

Thanks for sharing at my party this week!

xoxo Bunny Jean
    Wednesdays Bunny Hop Party!